Antics and Ramblings of Kat

Sunday, June 04, 2006

So Beautiful




Darren Hayes. I wonder if you've heard of him? He was the front man of Savage Garden, but went solo since they split a few years back. You probably remember Savage Garden. The classic love song band - Truly Madly Deeply, and all that kind of thing. I really loved Savage Garden for their albums though, the darker album tracks that most people have never heard, but I love and treasure.

I kept following Darren Hayes after the band split, from the global success to now when his record company doesn't really bother to promote him anymore. Darren's not popular in the mainstream really these days... sure, his singles make the Top 40 (for what that's worth these days... I'm not entirely sure that it's that meaningful - and I certainly know that I lot of the music I love would never enter that particular measure of 'success') but you generally won't hear him played on the radio, or on many TV programmes. But I love Darren and his music. I love that he's not afraid to be experimental. Or subversive. He's charismatic and a generally funny and witty, down to earth guy. Not at all hung up and obsessed with being a celebrity. I've seen him a few times on tour, and those gigs have been the best that I've been to. He's immensely talented lyrically and vocally (and I have to confess I'm a bit of a sucker for a falsetto!) - and I think he's underrated.

I love meaningful lyrics. With a story. Things I can relate to, and see that they ring true with life. And I find that with this artist.

Anyway, this video of a performance of 'So Beautiful' at the Zulu Awards last year... the single reached some mediocre position in the UK. But you know what? I don't really care. Because I quite enjoy knowing and enjoying lesser-known artists. Hidden gems. It makes the music more special to me, somehow.

You may not agree with me. You may hate the song, and the performance and the guy. But isn't that the beauty of our individuality? The ability to appreciate and enjoy different things and other peoples' tastes.

I decided to share this with you - because I could.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Welshie said…

    Ditto, to pretty much everything you said.

    And also, check this guy out:

    http://www.kitashton.com/

    Quite different to Darren but another 'hidden gem'. And I know him so this is a bit of a shameless plug. And he's a Christian!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home